Sunday, May 1, 2016

Alive and Playing On Broadway! Israel Celebrates and My Deepest Thank You!


The Democrat Party for apparently getting ready
to nominate a candidate so unworthy it will force
me to vote for the apparent Republican Nominee
who is equally peculiar.
==================================
I am a few pages from finishing "Benjamin Franklin An American Life" By Walter Isaacson.
I enjoy reading biographies.

Isaacson told me more about Franklin than I probably needed to know but the last section, entitled "Sage: Philadelphia 1785-1790, " was devoted to Franklin's impact on crafting our Constitution and was meaty.

We might not have The Constitution we do had it not been for Franklin's calming influence and effective appeal to his fellowmen to embrace the art of compromise with respect to the division of power among the small and larger states.  Franklin also reminded his fellow drafters they were engaged in a higher purpose than self and, for the sake of history, should embrace and be guided by a noble spirit - that of God.

Franklin's success got me to thinking why have we drifted away from the ability to compromise and why politics in no longer a noble cause attracting the very best in our society?  I suspect power, money and the focus on party rather than the will of "We The People" has become the driving force.

"We The People" have allowed politicians to pass laws to which they are not subject.

"We The People" have allowed politicians to feather their own nests to the detriment of the nation.

 "We The People" have allowed politicians to remain in office far beyond what was contemplated when our Constitution was drafted.

 "We The People" have allowed our politicians to forget they are our servants not we theirs.

Sadly, public service has become more practical and affordable for the wealthy.  The cost of seeking office, even at local levels, is insane.  America has grown and reaching the masses is both difficult and expensive and yet one would think technology should have driven down costs and made accessibility easier.

Public service pays well and long service brings wealth.  Harry Reid is immensely wealthy and he did not become so from his boxing career.

As for the art of compromise, I would suggest politicians have come to believe doing so is synonymous with diluting and/or giving away power.  Power is precious, power equates with privilege.  Has egalitarianism come to be viewed as less than  "manly" and deemed more a sign of weakness?

Finally, running for office, offering oneself for public service is akin to a colonoscopy without sedation. Effective campaigning seems to attract a disproportionate number of those with the thickest of skin and often the meanest of spirits.  I liken running for public office to a more socially accepted neurotic and sublimated desire of wanting to pull wings off butterflies.

Franklin was famously said to have replied to a scullery maid's question, engaged in mopping the floor of Constitution Hall, 'well what do we have?'  ' A Republic if we can keep it!' was his response.

From the look of things, one might justifiably conclude we are about to lose what we have worked so hard to maintain - our independent spirit, our freedom of speech and religion, our right to protect ourselves, our home and property and our respect for our fellow man.

Where are the Washington's, Franklin's, Jefferson's, Madison's and Hamilton's?

The latter we know is alive and playing on Broadway!
===
All they want to do is live in peace yet, they are being stabbed and forced to die to protect their land.

I have been there several times and if you have not you need to experience this nation.


===
My computer guru set me up on  Mail Chimp after I had continual problems with G Mail shutting me down because I exceeded their daily limit of sending e mails which they thought were scam.

Mail Chimp gives me all kind of statistics and inputs and I now know when someone actually opens my memo and I also know what they are most interested in by way of "clicks."

What I am getting at, in a round about way, is that I have had the opportunity to meet and come to know an enormous number of people. People who are exceedingly talented, very skilled in their own world of a variety of endeavors. My memos provide me with a personal outlet to express myself but more importantly they are a way, from a great distance, to stay in touch with friends I have met and come to know over, at least 60 years.

My memo is sent to over 480 souls and on any given day well over 120 open and click. Some are regular, if not daily, readers and some read on a random basis but the statistics I receive suggest that, for a political type memo, my readership is some 30% greater than the average.

So, I thank you for your loyalty and interest and whether I raise or lower your blood pressure I do hope I make you think and challenge your own thoughts and bring you some articles you might otherwise not get to read or know about.

Also,that anyone, who I respect, cares to take the time to read what I write is deeply appreciated.

I apologize again for the times I learn, after the fact, some of my postings are false. I am terrible when it comes to checking.  I always invite comments, always respond to them and post a good number.

I shall be away for a week beginning Wednesday.
===
Dick
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments: